|NTLDR is Missing -Error.|
Have you ever seen “NTLDR is missing, Press any key to restart” during boot up ?
What is NTLDR ?
NTLDR (NT Loader) is the boot loader for all releases of Microsoft’s Windows NT operating system up to and including Windows XP.
This message NTLDR is missing indicates that the boot loader is either corrupted or missing due to some reason.
Windows XP Fix
If your Windows is installed on NTFS Partitions:
- Arrange for the bootable Windows XP setup CD.
- Boot from CD select R=Repair option, by pressing R key during the setup.
- Select the windows installation.
- You need to enter in the administrator password when requested, if you had not set any password for the administrator account just press enter without typing.
- Type the following commands to repair the bootloader, where X is the drive letter for your CD / DVD drive.
- COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\:
- COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
- Eject CD-ROM and type exit to restart.
Windows 7 Fix
- Insert the Windows 7 setup or System Repair CD into the CD/DVD drive and then restart your PC.
- Now boot into your Windows 7 setup CD/DVD. If you have a Dell PC, then press F12, or F9 for HP, to access the boot menu. It usually tells you what you need to press to access the boot menu during boot up. If you are not sure, check your vendor’s documentation. Select boot into CD/DVD.
- Now press any key to boot from Windows 7 CD when prompted.
- Windows 7 installer will then pop up asking for language, format and input method. Make appropriate selections and then click on Next to continue.
- Now click on Repair your computer.
- It will then detect and list all installed operating systems. Choose appropriate OS from the list and click on Next.
- From the System Recovery Options, choose Startup Repair. Let it do its thing and acknowledge any notifications it might display.
- After repair, it will restart your computer and should fix the issue.
Command Prompt Method
- This time instead of startup repair choose Command Prompt.
- Now at the command prompt, type in the following commands, and press Enter.
- bootrec /FixMbr
Bootrec /RebuildBcd chkdsk drive: /f chkdsk drive: /r